Bertie!

Last January I made a Bertie blanket following Amy @littledoolally‘s gorgeous pattern. I gave it to a friend for her new baby girl.

This is the one I made:

I don’t know what it is about this pattern which makes it so appealing but it really is, and the endless possibilities with different colour combinations means it’s one that you can come back to again and again!

Exploring #bertieblanket on Instragram is a really great source of inspiration for different ideas.

So this January, with another of my friends expecting a new baby some time this month, I decided to make another, and here it is so far:

I have been totally overwhelmed by the response to this blanket when I first posted it on my Instagram account. It’s had at least ten times as many likes as my other posts!

I’ve been asked about the colours I’m using so I’ve decided to list them here in case anyone else would like to use them. They are all Stylecraft Special DK yarn, which is 100% acrylic and lovely and soft.

The main colour is grey.

The other colours are:

  • Duck Egg
  • Storm Blue
  • Lincoln
  • Pistachio
  • Buttermilk
  • Vintage Peach
  • Mocha
  • Mushroom
  • Parma Violet

Here they are on the lovely yarn pegs I bought from The Polkadot Giraffe. I used these pegs to choose the colours as they are such an easy and fun way to play around with different combinations to see what will work.

Please do let me know if you use these colours in any of your creations as I’d love to see what they look like!

Advertisements

Designing a new blanket

I’ve had this idea in my head for a blanket for a while now.  It’s inspired by all the monochrome and geometric style home décor items that seem to be so popular at the moment.

To tell you the truth, I actually nearly frogged it after the first few rows as I thought it wasn’t working.  But I changed my mind, decided to see how it looked after a few more rows, and I’m so pleased I did.

It’s not *exactly* how I wanted it to be, and there are definitely some changes I’d make if I were starting again, but as a first go at my very first blanket design, I’m pretty pleased with how it’s turning out.

I’ve not quite finished it yet but I’m over half-way now and, as it’s going to be symmetrical, I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like in the end now.

Except for the border, I haven’t decided quite how I’ll do the border yet.  But I’m thinking that with all the pattern in the blanket itself, a simple and relatively plain border will probably be best.

Can’t wait to see how this looks when it’s all done